Friday, August 26, 2016

Week Dos! - Provo MTC

WHAT IS UP MY FRIENDS AND FAM!?!?  This week has been nutzos.  It went by pretty fast but I feel like I've been here an ETERNITY.  I can't even remember what life before the MTC was like.  So long ago.  Anyways! I'm getting pretty settled in by now, I'm alright waking up at 6;30, I'm used to the food, and everything's pretty great!!  I miss you all so much dangit.  That's the worst part at the moment.  Surprisingly enough I'm doin just fine without my daily 14 hours of rock n' roll music!! I'm kinda used to just singing hymns everywhere I go.  It's actually a pretty fun time.

--Little known secret, THE NAMETAGS DOUBLE AS KAZOOS!  I do it all the time and it's so obnoxious.  But I don't have my guitar so I need some sort of instrument lol. Everyone gets along great here.  I was so worried I was gonna have a district with a bunch of crazies but everyone is so cool.  Excersise (plz excuse any spelling errors) times are super duper fun, we play soccer, basketball, and volleyball most of the time.  And kickball!  Itsh great.  

ELDER KERR FINALLY GOT HERE! But Elders Peterson and Caine left so that was a bummer.  But good for them!! They're gonna do so good out in the mission field.  The French is coming pretty good!  It's awesome, we try to speak it whenever we can, and it's becoming natural.  Like I'll naturally respond with "oui" or "merci" instead of yes or thank you etc.  It's still pretty bad, but I'm better than I ever was before.  

WE'VE TAUGHT 4 LESSONS IN ONLY FRENCH.  Not learned- TAUGHT.  The people here are crazy.  But somehow it all works out! My first "investigator" (they're teachers who are acting) was named "Nicole." She was super cool and never even laughed at how bad our French was! We taught her quite a bit, and then she revealed herself as a teacher here and gave us feedback.  What I've learned is you gotta teach with the spirit otherwise it's a waste of time.  We would go in with a huge script in perfect French and read it off, and she was like "oh cool that's interesting".  And then at the end we would just wing it and bear our testimonies and the spirit was definetly there.  (or as much as it could be given our awful French)  And Nicole would Actually be way interested! Super cool.  I know the gospel and the gift of tongues are real.  Like I always forget words during the lesson, but during the testimonies I always know how to say what I want.  It's incredible.  The spirit is the coolest.  

On sundays and tuesdays there's a choir practice and that's way fun! it's like concert choir except much bigger and only gospel songs.  After the choir a guest speaker comes for a devotional!! On sunday we had the "nashville tribute band" which isn't necessarily my style of music haha but they were so good!  they told stories about the church and their missions etc. and then played the songs they had written about those experiences!! Plus they were all crazy good singers.  Tuesday's speaker was someone from the 70 but I forgot haha! They're talk was super cool, about their own conversion story and how we need to devote ourselves to the Lord. 

SPEAKING OF
We have "movie night" Sunday night.  Really they're just talks from apostles but it's awesome!  We watched the "must see" movie - "The Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar.   By far the best talk I've ever heard.  It's all about how we need to be like the Savior and stop being selfish and focus on thinking outwards towards others.  How we need to become fully converted to the gospel by actively serving instead of just having a "testimony", cause that's not enough.  We all came out of that awestruck by the spirit.  We've had some way cool lessons too!  Our teachers names are Frere Vanderholm and Soeur Kimble and they are the coolest!  They both served in Tahiti too!  Vanderholm gave a super awesome presentation about how the BoM was written for the restoration and how it's amazing and it's so true.  Ugh I love the gospel it just makes everything better.  And we had THE BEST time last night in Kimbles lesson!  I can't even remember why, but near the end we were all so tired and could not stop laughing.  For like 20 mins!! We tried to take a break but we just kept laughing everytime anyone made eye contact.  It's actually fun only having 3 other guys in the class because we're all so tight and can be real with each other.  

It's slightly weird not having a phone cause that was always my go to source for entertainment.  But now it's gone and replaced with a little key holder/retracter thingy! I play with it for HOURS.
  
I EAT SO MUCH FOOD HERE.  Like I never used to eat anything and now I eat twice as much as the other Elders.  It's nuts I tell you. Cause I used to only eat like a sandwich and a bag of popcorn a day.  And they say I read the French dictionary like a book, but I'm learning a lot so who cares! 

Also SO MANY thanks to everyone who sent me letters or packages!!!!!! It's seriously so cool to hear from and get pictures and stuff from yall.  All the misses and loves, 

Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment